Each year, you have many students flocking to engineering colleges. Engineering, as a sector, has immense scope and there are so many streams that one can take their pick from. Chemical, computer, mechanical, and electrical engineering are among the ones in high demand. Your career goals and your aptitude need to be the factors influencing your choice. If you like reading up on the ways electronic equipment and systems work, and want to take up electrical engineering, you need to choose from various Electrical Engineering courses that are offered in several colleges. Following is a brief overview of some of the popular courses that students opt for these days, once they decide to pursue a bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
Bachelor of Engineering – You can pursue a bachelor’s degree in this stream. You can choose from several areas of application, such as electricity generation, radar and satellite, biomedical engineering, computer engineering, and wireless communication. Following is a brief overview of each of them.
* Biomedical engineering: This refers to studying electrical engineering concepts in the sectors of healthcare and medicine. Biomedical engineers develop and design various kinds of medical equipment like micro implants, clinical equipment, and imaging equipment, such as EEGs.
* Computer engineering: This is a course that combines the syllabi of the different courses of computer and electrical engineering. In the recent years, the popularity of this course has grown by leaps and bounds, thanks to advancement in technology.
* Electricity generation: This stream of electrical engineering, which is also known as power engineering, involves applying principles of electrical engineering to generating and transmitting electrical power as well as distributing it. In this stream, engineers design motors, transformers and generators.
* Radar and Satellite: Satellite engineering involves studying concepts pertaining to the development of satellites for defence, communication, and scientific research. Radar engineering involves understanding the way different components of different radars work. Engineers in this field go on to apply those concepts in several sectors like fire control and weather forecasting. Radar and Satellite engineering combines these diverse sectors and allows you to explore a wide range of career opportunities.
* Wireless communication: This stream of engineering is also known as wireless engineering. In this sector, the responsibility of the engineer requires developing and researching wireless communication systems and technologies. This also involves solving various engineering issues using wireless technology. The stream also involves handling a wide range of applications, such as cellular networks.
You need to conduct an in-depth research on these disciplines before you decide to pursue any Electrical and Electronic Engineering degree to pursue. Read up on each sub-stream, and try to assess the one you have the greater aptitude for. Post research, you need to explore colleges that offer courses in your chosen discipline. There are several top colleges in Singapore that offer multiple options in Electrical and Electronic Engineering Education. Take your pick after a careful research since this one decision can go a long way in determining the course of your career.